Student Visa Guidelines for Students Applying for Higher Education

For purpose of short stay of around 3 months, visas are issued in Denmark and other Schengen nations. Foreign nationals require a visa to enter Denmark. They also need a residence permit for pursuing courses greater than 3 months in duration. Students cannot apply for residence permit and visa at the same time.

Student Visa Application Guidelines

Those who have been granted particular types of residence/ re-entry permits in other Schengen nation, a visa is not needed to enter Denmark. Students given the visa cannot work in Denmark for the duration of their stay.

How to Apply for Danish Visa?

Students may apply for visas at an authorised Danish mission in the nation where he or she is staying and is a permanent or temporary legal resident. Students can apply at Danish Embassies and consulates in their country. Visas for Denmark may also be issued by the Trade Council of Denmark, Taipei at Taiwan.

Some honorary consulates also issue visa applications and send them to supervising embassies. In case the visa is granted, students are then required to contact the embassy in person at a later point in time for visa issuance. Students can also contact the Danish missions on their way to Denmark for the same.

Provisions for Students from Certain Countries

For students from certain nations, Denmark has agreements regarding the handling of visa applications from other Schengen countries. These agreements are only regarding visas issued for short-stays. Students can also visit the Danish Immigration Service website

Students who wish to stay longer and are from EU/EEA/Switzerland nations, you need registration certificates(EU/EEA) or residence cards (Swiss nationals).

More about Registration Certificates and Residence Permits

Apart from residence permits issued under the Danish Aliens Act, registration certificates are proof of the student's right to move freely under EU rules. The residence permit/card may be obtained from the Regional State Administration/Statsforvaltningen in the 3 months after reaching Denmark.

Requirements for Residence Permits

Students need to provide their passport, 2 passport photographs and a letter of admission for residence permits. Around 3 weeks are needed to process the application so that the visa can be issued. Residence permit can also be obtained following registration with the Danish Civil Registration. It is covered under Danish health insurance.

Residence permits for non-EU/EEA Students

Those students who are not from the EU/EAA need to apply for the Danish residence permit to study in Denmark should take note of the following points:
  1. Students must give in writing the proof of their acceptance as a student to higher education courses and programmes at the Danish educational institutions that have been approved. Students should also complete an entire programme offered by a Danish institution or as a visiting student in the part of the programme begun in their home country.
  2. Students can show that they have financial support for the length of their stay. Those who pay the tuition fee should also be able to show that they have done so for the first semester/year. 
  3. Foreign students generally do not receive any grants of benefits from the state so they should be clear about financial support. Students can be deported for making any false claims.
  4. Students must also show that they have spoken and written understanding of the language in which the course/degree programme is taught apart from working knowledge of any of the following languages:
    • Danish
    • Swedish
    • Norwegian
    • German
    • English

 Application and Documentation Process

To apply for a student residence permit, students should fill out the required application form. They should take care regarding the manner in which the form is filled as any errors can lead to disqualification of candidature for admission.

 Application Process

  • Representatives of Danish educational institutions must complete the section 2 of the application form and send the form with attached required documents to the student. 
  • After this, section 1 of the application form should be completed by the students and attach the supporting documents.
  • The application can then be submitted to the closest Danish embassy/general consulate in the home nation of the student. The application can then be forwarded to the Danish Immigration Service for the purpose of processing.

About the International Office

For knowing more about how to gain a Danish residence permit, students must contact the international office at the Danish institution where their application has been accepted. To know more about the biometric residence permits, you can also visit these offices.

Different Rules for Students from Different Nations

Nordic citizens

Students who are from Nordic nations can live as well as study and work in Denmark. They must carry their identity papers with a photo proof such as driver's licence or passport. When students arrive in Denmark, they should register in the Civil Registration System as soon as it is possible. They can apply at the closest Citizen Service Centre.

EU/EEA Citizens

Citizens from European Union or EEA or Switzerland can live, study and work in Denmark as well. When they have arrived in Denmark, students should apply for the registration certificate indicating their right to reside in Denmark. Students can apply at the closest regional State Administration.

Citizens from Countries outside Nordic Regions

Students who are not from EU, EEA or Switzerland must obtain a residence permit from the Danish Immigration Service before they reach Denmark. Students can also submit their applications to their respective consulates following receipt of the admission letter from a Danish educational institution.

Procedure Regarding Civil Personal Registration/CPR (Danish ID) Number

Students who have received their CPR number can use this card to open a bank account or access the library. The CPR is issued when students receive their registration certificate registered at the Civil Registration System.

Remember to bring your residence permit. Those who have received their CPR number are fully registered.

For more details see official website Study in Denmark
Connect me with the Top Colleges
First Name:
Last Name:
E-Mail ID :
You live in:
Mobile Number:
You want to study in:
Highest Level of Education:
Study Preference:
You want to Study:
Need an education loan?
loading Processing...
  • No Articles to display

Know More »

  • No Press Releases to display

Know More »

Denmark Select a Country

Our Network :